Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Roger Ebert: The Essential Man (Esquire)

I want to take a brief break from my own musings and postings to point out a wonderfully written article on one of my heroes, Ebert, which appeared yesterday in Esquire.

He's not only a hero in teaching the importance of film, and how to read and appreciate its gestures and codes, but he's a hero to me as representative of a life that's come up against some of the greatest of hardships -- in both alcoholism and cancer -- yet he overcomes, always looking for new ways to improve his character and continue learning. He's a man that doesn't apparently have long to live, yet he relishes life in every moment.

My favorite quote: "When I am writing my problems become invisible and I am the same person I always was. All is well. I am as I should be."

God bless you, Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments. If you keep it relatively clean and respectful, and use your name or any name outside of "Anonymous," I will be much more apt to respond. Spam or stupidity is mine to delete at will. Thanks.